House of worship and history.. In Short Founded in 1850 in a wood-framed chapel on Larned Street, Historic Trinity Lutheran Church was the first Missouri Synod Lutheran Church in Detroit. Today's majestic granite and limestone structure was built in 1931. Hundreds of figures are portrayed on the outside of the 16th-century gothic-styled cathedral, accented with artistic stone, glass, wood, tile and brass craftsmanship. The church is a national historical site, similar in beauty and detail to the remarkable cathedrals found throughout Europe.